Things I never thought I'd do #354: Boiling diapers

Don't panic, they're brand new.  First, I never thought I'd consider even using cloth diapers.  Why would I, when disposables are so convenient.  Yeah, all the waste sucks, but it wasn't enough to inspire me to switch.  Then, thanks to my mom's forum, I found out how easy (and CUTE) they are now and how much money I could save.  Anyone who knows me knows if you tell me I can save hundreds of dollars with just a little extra effort, I'm in.  So, after much debate and research, I made the switch from disposables to cloth gradually from the time Gabe was about 15 mos.-18 mos. until we were in cloth full time and never looked back.  I love my cloth diapers, and Gabe had barely had any rashes since switching.

All that said, prepping new diapers is time-consuming.  You only have to do it once, but it's still a pain.  New prefolds and inserts have to be washed and dried anywhere from 3-10 times to get all the natural oils out and make them absorbent.  OR, as I recently learned, you can boil them in a stockpot for 1/2 hour and wash and dry them once.  Um, kinda a no-brainer, especially when you're not allowed to do laundry.  So I borrowed a couple extra stock pots, and all last night and this morning, I've been boiling all the diapers for the twins.  The last batch is in now.  And it works like a charm.  The first load I pulled out last night is beautifully fluffy and quilted, and considerably smaller than when I started (which is part of the point).  They fit nicely in the covers I have so far, so I am a happy camper and feeling quite accomplished.  Plus, can you imagine how much electricity I saved?  Now all I'll have to prep are the covers, and they just need washed once, so that's easy.  It's so nice to have that one major project almost done.

Comments

Popular Posts