A portrait of my children as young boys

The boys were not taking a nap the other day.  They were playing in their room, running around upstairs, playing in Gabe's room, etc., so I had to resort to banishing them to our room.  I locked the door between the bathroom and my closet so they couldn't escape that way, and I guarded the hall door.  Isaac was screaming bloody murder, coming up with every excuse in the world to get out (I need a drink!  I need to go pee!  I need a blanket, not this one, the star blanket!).  Finally he thinks he has the clincher that this nurse mommy can't ignore, "I need my breathing treatment!!!"  Um, if you're screaming through the door at me, you do NOT need a breathing treatment, but good try. 

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room...I hear Alex rustling around.  Then I hear him say  very calmly and quietly, "Bud, we just need to get the door open.  We need to find a driver to get that door open."  He knows we use a tiny screwdriver for unlocking doors, so he figured it must be somewhere in our room.  Smart kid, rationally plotting their escape while Isaac distracts me. 

This scenario is just so indicative of their personalities.  They're so different.  Alex is the calm, rational thinker who will spend forever trying to figure things out.  He's the calm to Isaac and Gabe's storms.  He doesn't like mornings, is slow to wake up, and is much more hesitant with new people and situations, though he's not nearly as anxious as he used to be. He has become Gabe's little shadow.

Isaac is the social, emotional kid.  He's generally pretty laid back, but when he's upset, he's VERY upset and can be impulsive.  He's also a goofball, more active, and has never met a stranger.  He loves everyone, and he doesn't let his brothers' tight bond get to him.  He just says I'm his best buddy.  Hey, at least I got one mama's boy.

The problem is when you mix Isaac's enthusiasm and daring with Alex's thoughtfulness and plotting, we are sunk.

Comments

Popular Posts