My Twin Pregnancy Journey

I have to admit, when I found out I was having twins, I was pretty sad for a few weeks.  I had looked forward to a different kind of birth than I had with Gabe.  I wanted a midwife instead of an OB, and I was looking forward to the hospital staff actually listening to me and what I wanted since I had done this successfully before.  I learned quickly in my OB rotation that first-time moms are never really believed, while experienced moms are.  I was looking forward to not being asked a million times if I wanted an epidural, after telling them no a million times.  This was part of the reason for wanting a midwife.  Plus, it would have been nice to see the person who was delivering my baby for longer than 5 min.

Then I found out I was having twins and my vision of an ideal birth went out the window.  I knew I was looking at 50/50 odds of having a c-section and would probably be forced to have an epidural in case they needed to do a c-section quickly.  I also knew the respect I was hoping for as a seasoned mom was probably going to go out the window since I'd never had twins before.  I was bummed.  Of course I wanted what was best for my babies, and I've never been against any form of birth that results in a healthy mom and baby.  I know c-sections are necessary and a wonderful, life-saving thing for many people.  I just assumed that since I had had one easy vaginal birth, I could do it again, and even better this time.  I actually grieved a bit, knowing that this would be my last pregnancy, and I would never have a chance to do things the way I really wanted.  I knew it was silly, but it was how I felt.

However, somewhere along the line, I stopped caring.  Probably around the time she told me my cervix was trying to thin out and dilate at 19 wks.  At that point, I just wanted to keep those babies cooking as long as possible and get them out safely.  So when the perinatalogist told me I'd probably have to have a c-section because of the VCI, I was fine with that, and when my OB confirmed that 2 wks. later, I was actually relieved to have a plan.  Am I still a little nervous and upset that I won't get as much contact with my babies initially?  Sure.  Am I stressed about having to be off work 2 more weeks?  Of course.  But all of that is a small price to pay for healthy babies, which is really all that matters.  I've come a long way, and I knew I'd get here eventually.  I just needed time to feel what I needed to feel and get it out of my system.

Comments

Popular Posts